Deployment Strategy – Key To Realizing Your PLM Value

Most of the global organizations are challenged to get the right value from their PLM implementation programs. To effectively respond to changing business demands, IT teams plan to continuously improve the PLM processes, triggering multiple production rollouts each year. During the planning phase, often very limited attention is given to the deployment strategy, not realizing the decisive impact on the implementation value. Overlooked, it limits addressing of complexities that arise due to following multitude of challenges during the production rollout, ultimately delaying the value to be realized.

  • Short Deployment Window: Based on our experience, for any environment the available window for deployments during the weekend is approximately 16 hours
  • Complex Application Environment: Alignment of integrated environment and complex customizations developed over period of time
  • Global Deployment: Seamless synchronization across multiple sites and time zones
  • Validation: Limited time for post deployment validation

Collaboration with Partners

Need for a Smarter Deployment Strategy

In case of global manufacturers having large Teamcenter® environments , it is common to have a horizontally scaled-up infrastructure with multiple instances of Teamcenter diversified components. As the coverage of PLM expands across the business units, so does the number of instances of the servers and complexity of the deployment. Common challenges faced during Teamcenter production rollout:

  • Reinstallation of instances within the weekend time window
  • Version patching on all component instances
  • Manual processes for synchronizing the environments

Thereby for a quality rollout within the time window, it is critical that the deployment time must be reduced and manual steps should be avoided. Traditional approaches require huge amount of efforts to perform deployments. Manual processes used are error prone, affecting the quality of deployments. In spite of the efforts, issues could arise blocking the key functionalities or even resulting into a complete roll back of the deployment . To overcome these limitations, there is a need to identify a smarter deployment approach.

Automation is the Key

Geometric recommends an automation led smart deployment strategy that not only reduces time within desired limits but also improves the quality of implementation. The strategy focuses on automating the deployment process as much as possible, eliminating the possibility of manual errors. For instance, in Teamcenter the intensive tasks of installation and deployment of customizations and configurations can be automated. Further , 80% of the deployment work is executed before the actual deployment window and remaining 20%  during the actual deployment window, reducing the weekend deployment time.

Successfully employed in large customer environments, this methodology has enabled and reduced the deployment time upto 50%  while  improving the quality of deployments. To learn more about this strategy and how you can effectively leverage it for your Teamcenter environment, download the Geometric whitepaper on  ‘Smart Deployment Methodology for Teamcenter’. 




Download Whitepaper





Rajendra Magadum
Practice Head, PLM-Practices, Geometric Ltd.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *